The Deutsche Umweltstiftung is state-approved and recognized as a non-profit organization. Moreover, it is politically and economically independent. The work of the foundation’s members is solely on a voluntary basis.
Only by changing our way of thinking and acting in order to become environmentally aware, we will be able to protect and preserve the natural basis of life – for humankind as well as flora and fauna. This way we can build hope for a future for our children and grandchildren.
- Environmental education, training, instruction and information
- Consumer information and consumer protection
- Acknowledgement and support of outstanding commitment in the area of nature conservation and environmental protection by offering cash prizes, such as the book award “Reading for the Environment”, the journalist award and the hope award
- Promotion of activities around nature conservation and environmental protection by individuals and associations, federations, institutes, companies, civic action groups and research organizations. These stakeholders support the improvement of environmental conditions and environmental law through scientific, journalistic, literary, artistic, or other practical activities. They also foster the safeguarding, preservation and protection of nature and landscapes as well as ecological resources and biotopes (§2 of the foundation statutes)
- Purchase and maintenance of lands to support nature and landscape protection
- Participation in environmental discussions, licensing procedures and legislative initiatives
The Deutsche Umweltstiftung has always endeavoured to act in the spirit of giving hope; the foundation has helped to promote different ideas, approaches, impulses, and initiatives since it was launched in 1982.
Please support the Deutsche Umweltstiftung with your donation or endowment!
Our key activities
The Deutsche Umweltstiftung commits itself to ecologically oriented education and information. It supports…
- the dialogue between scientists and other professionals who are involved in preventative environmental research and the dissemination of holistic thinking,
- local and regional environmental initiatives based on great personal commitment,
- objective environmental information in the media,
- the development of an environmental orientation within the book market by awarding the annual book prize “Reading for the Environment”,
- the promotion of publications aimed at disseminating environmental information and conducting public relations work.
What can we do for our environment?
We do not always have to hold the state accountable regarding the protection of nature and the environment!
For a well-functioning democracy to thrive, private and voluntary action and official political activity need to complement each other. This does not necessarily mean that voluntary work releases politics from its responsibility. Politicians are expected to act as role models to motivate people taking part in honorary commitment. This is one of the reasons why the Deutsche Umweltstiftung was founded. The basic assets were contributed by more than 450 donors – people who value ecological beliefs and who wanted to lay the foundation for politically and economically independent environmental work.
In the last few decades, environmental protection received increasing attention. Nevertheless, more animals and plants are going extinct, and the exploitation of natural resources has not diminished. It is a challenge for every one of us to counteract this development.
How is our work financed?
The Deutsche Umweltstiftung finances its work with…
- income from the foundation’s assets,
- single and regular donations,
- occasional income from redistribution of regulatory fines.
The Deutsche Umweltstiftung depends on donations and contributions. The more support the foundation receives, the more projects can be realized. All contributions, regardless of their amount, are important and greatly appreciated. Those who wish to receive additional information and invitations to public events and conferences are kindly asked to transfer a single contribution or donation of at least €50.00 (individuals) or €150.00 (legal entities) to the Deutsche Umweltstiftung.
Please note that, following amendments to the tax regulations, payments made to foundations are subject to special tax privileges. Donations are tax-deductible. Donation receipts for your tax return will be sent within a few weeks of payment.
Please support our foundation for the benefit of the general public and to make our environment worth living in.